Jolene Haley is the author of the Woodsview Murder series (Harrowed, Haunted, and Hunted). She has edited several anthologies including Dark Carnival, Halloween Night: Trick or Treat, and A Pizza My Heart. She is an agent assistant for a literary agency and has worked for three publishing houses since earning her Bachelor’s degree.
After growing up in a haunted house, studying to be a coroner, and spending too much time in graveyards, she draws her horror writing inspiration from real life experiences. She resides in California where she loves to pet every dog she sees and explore bookstores for hidden treasures.
Keep up with her on the web:
HERE ARE A FEW THINGS ABOUT JOLENE YOU MAY NOT KNOW:
1. I am serious about petting every dog that I see.
2. If I could have iced coffee with anyone in the world, besides a member of the Midnight Society, it would be R.L. Stine. I love Coffee Bean.
3. Growing up, I was obsessed with Goosebumps, Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club, and Bailey School kids books.
4. I absolutely love 80’s horror movies (and 80’s movies in general). My favorite bad guy is Michael Myers. My favorite Final Girl is Jamie Lee Curtis.
5. I am a true crime fanatic. I can often be found watching Forensic Files (aka the best show ever made) or listening to true crime podcasts Gen Why Podcast, Someone Knows Something, or Casefile. I also loved season 1 of Serial.
6. I love Harry Potter. I am forever torn between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw (Gryffinclaw?).
7. I have two perfect puppers and one perfect cat and they are the best things in the universe and I’m sorry, but they’re the cutest in the world.
8. I love love love love ghost stories.
9. Music is my favorite and can often be found listening to 1. 60’s & 70’s rock 2. 80’s hair metal 3. oldies (any) 4. Punk rock 5. Acoustic punk pop 6. magical soundtracks. Specifically, some of my favorite bands are: Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Blink 182, New Found Glory, and any Punk Goes… cd.
10. I like anything witchy. Books. Movies. Soundtracks. Clothes.
11. The Goonies and Stranger Things are the best.
12. I believe in magic.
READ MY BOOKS
Journalism Rule #1: Always report the story. Never become the story.
Avery Blair has accepted the fact that nothing exciting ever happens in her small town of Woodsview, Massachusetts. As the editor of the high school blog, she prays for something—anything—to come along that would make for a great headline.
When Beatrice Thompson’s body is found in the girls’ bathroom, Avery has her biggest story ever. The rumors circulating the school say that Beatrice took her own life, but Avery doesn’t believe it for a second. Her instincts prove true when the next day brings another body bag. The tiny community of Woodsview has become the hunting ground for a killer known as the Harvester. The killer targets Avery and her classmates, stalking their every move and terrorizing them with morbid messages.
With the help of her boyfriend Jason, her best friend Quinn, and an aging detective who can’t keep her off the case, Avery dives head-first into her own investigation. She discovers that the secret of the Woodsview Harvester is buried in the town’s history and its annual Harvest Festival celebration. With every clue she uncovers, Avery grows closer to unmasking the killer—and becoming the next victim.
Avery Blair has finally found a story to die for…if she can stay alive long enough to write it.
Graveyards, spirits, witchcraft, black cats, candy, and haunted houses.
Strange things happen on Halloween. All Hallows Eve is the single night where the veil between the living and the dead is opened. And now spirits, monsters, and candy will collide!
Seventeen authors and illustrators set out on a horrific journey to set the record straight. What really happens on Halloween night? Trick or Treating is not all fun and games. There are more tricks than treats scattered through these pages. Sure, Al Hallows eve can be a scream. But sometimes, it’s straight-up murder.
Halloween Night: Trick-or-Treat is a middle grade and young adult horror anthology that takes place on Halloween night.
Read if you dare! You’re in for a scare!
I am currently reading:
(click on the picture of the cover to read the blurb on Goodreads)