Welcome to The Midnight Society’s #OctFearFest!
All of us here at The Midnight Society LOVE the month of October. It’s when we can let our freak flags fly and invite others join us in the fun. There are soooo many things we have planned for you this month—all creepy and crawly, strange and terrifying—but we’d be nothing without horror writing.
THIS is where you all come in!
Last year, I hosted a horror poetry contest and one lucky winner won some signed art by the fabulous SP McConnell. This year I’ve upped the ante and will be hosting a Writing Bloody Flash Fiction Contest!
What is flash fiction? Well, if you do a little research online there are many different word count answers. But for our purposes—and since I get to make the rules—we’re going with a story that is under 500 words. Your story must have a complete beginning, middle, and an end.
1. MUST utilize at least two of the ideas (obviously artistic license will be in full-force here) from the Pinterest Board. Follow Midnight’s board Let’s Write Some Horror on Pinterest.
2. MUST be horror.
3. Can be either YA or NA.
4. Cannot go over the 500 words or will automatically be disqualified.
5. Submit your work embedded in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO ATTACHMENTS WILL BE OPENED.
6. Include your full name, email address, and any social media places you lurk. That way when you win, we can celebrate!! PLEASE title your flash in the subject header:)
8. Submitted NO LATER than October 23rd.
***You may not submit any story that has been published–self, small press, or traditionally.
***You may not submit work that is not your own and/or subject to copyright.
CONTEST OPENS OCTOBER 1st!!
The winner will be announced on our blog on October 27th! Now, I know your wondering…what’s the prize?! If you win, you’ll receive FOUR ebooks (via amazon.com) written by fellow Midnight Society members!!!!
1. Halloween: Trick or Treat (an anthology that includes short stories written by Kathy Palm and Amy Giuffrida, edited by Jolene Haley)
2. Harrowed by Brian LeTendre and Jolene Haley
3. The Bleeding Heart by Amy Giuffrida
4. Lipstick & Zombies by Faith McKay
WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT????!!!!!
I know I’m ready to read what you can come up with, so check out the Pinterest Board and get writing!