I am an Adult and So Can You: 13 Things That Happened This Week
There’s something happening here and I’m scared.
Over the past seven days at least 13 things have happened which lead me to believe my adulting game may be leveling up.
13. I took the first step towards a making a doctor’s appointment which I have been avoiding for about a decade.
12. I outlined the next ten posts for my blog.
11. I applied to be a local chapter leader for a non-fiction writing organization.
10. I researched information for the marketing section of my non-fiction book proposal.
9. I started a load of laundry AND switched it to the dryer AND started the dryer.
8. I accepted a promotion at work and, except for this very sentence, did not brag when I was informed the position was designed with me in mind.
7. I wrote the text of this post before assigning GIFs to each item–though I did have an idea of what I wanted but only made mental notes which his huge for me. Usually, I get much too excited about the visual to worry about the content.
6. My superior sibling solicited advice from me AND I gave it to said sibling without sarcasm.
5. I took my work to a coffee shop AND got almost all of that work done even with distractions.
4. I didn’t even swear once at judgey Netflix for asking me if I was “still watching?” New Girl. Instead, I set the sleep timer for a reasonable amount of time (90 min) so it was only another 72 episodes.
3. I took a break from grading RIGHT when I realized I needed it, not after.
2. My mother called me (ME) for car-buying advice and I had valuable information for her.
1. I made the choice to honor these 13 things because this is my last semester teaching and I want my students, readers, family, and friends to know that for all the crap and grief and doubt and jabs I give myself, I still deserve to recognize when I punch life in the throat.
Do you have any things?