American Horror Story: Hotel is Bizarre and Sexy…
…and I love it.
**Caution: slight spoilers ahead**
In case you missed it, American Horror Story Hotel premiered this week and it was UH-MAY-ZING!!
Let me start by saying that I just love the tone that this first episode set up for the rest of the season. It is SO dark and grotesque but also sexy and mysterious too. I was definitely given a sense that this season will be very different from all four of the previous seasons of the anthology show and after watching on Wednesday I can say I think that this is going to be an unforgettable season.
So far we didn’t get too deep of a look into any of the characters except for our detective, John Lowe (Wes Bentley), who we learned is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of his young son Holden (who we find later in the episode living in The Countess’s hotel!). I’m really looking forward to meeting the rest of the characters in the upcoming episodes (I can’t wait for Evan Peters as the evil Mr. March) and learning more about everyone that we were introduced to this week.
Now, for a just moment I have to talk about how freaking perfect the music was throughout this first episode! Music is so important in any type of horror shows–whether it’s a movie or TV show–and I think that the music that we heard in this episode added so much to it!
The first song that caught my eye was ‘Never Land (A Fragment)’ by The Sisters of Mercy. It was playing during the scene where Gabriel (Max Greenfield) was checking in and while the Addiction Demon had his way with him. This was one of the most bizarre scenes of the episode and the music fit it just perfectly.
Next was ‘Tear You Apart’ by She Wants Revenge, which played during the scene where Countess Elizabeth (Lady Gaga) and her lover Donovan (Matt Bomer) were introduced. This entire scene was BY FAR my favorite part of the episode and I cannot think of a better song that they could have played.
Finally, a few weeks ago I was thinking about this upcoming season of AHS and it’s hotel theme and–being the huge Eagles fan that I am–I decided that the season could not be a success in my eyes if they didn’t play Hotel California at least once this season. Thankfully they played it in the first episode and as I suspected it felt as though the song was made for this show.
Here are some more of my highlights from the episode:
- The opening sequence is one of the creepiest in the AHS history (just after the first season in my opinion).
- Our favorite realtor Marcy (Christine Estabrook) returned and gave us all an update on the Harmon’s dog (which she inherited in the first season of AHS).
- Liz Taylor…I I love her and her bored, devil-may-care attitude.
- The Vampires-they were different than your everyday Vampires and it was refreshing and scary. The Countess and Donovan used a glove they wore with a super sharp end on their index finger to slice open their victims throats and drink their blood mid-orgy.
- More Ghosts! I love that ghosts are a part of AHS every season!
- John Lowe will definitely be the character that we sympathize with and root for throughout the season.
- Jessica Lange will be greatly missed but I do enjoy the new life that Gaga is breathing into the show.
- It was actually scary. There were quite a few scenes that really freaked me out!
All in all, I have to say I really enjoyed this episode and I am definitely looking forward to watching the rest of the season!
Stay tuned, later this month I will be live-tweeting the Halloween Episode: Devil’s Night !